Friday, April 24, 2009

Laundry Detergent

I have been trying new things and this is one of them. It works great...better than store bought and MUCH cheaper.

1 bar Fels Naptha soap (found in the laundry aisle of your local grocery store...Kroger here in TX)
2 cups washing soda (NOT baking soda...in a yellow box in laundry aisle at Kroger)
2 cups borax (you can buy this a Walmart)
2 cups baking soda (cheapest if you buy at Walmart in the laundry aisle)

Grate soap with hand grater or use a food processor. Add other ingredients and mix well. Store in an air tight container (I use a recycled 2 1/2 quart ice cream bucket). Use 2 Tablespoons per load. Can use with either a front loader or a top loader as it is low sudsing. I have a front loader and when I was using store bought there were always suds left...even when using the he type. I don't have that problem with this...PLUS as I mentioned earlier...IT WORKS GREAT. As an added idea, try using vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of fabric softener. It works fairly well and doesn't leave a smell. I use it with towels and jeans but my whites still have static with vinegar so I use a Bounce sheet for them.

More recipes to come :)

2 comments:

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

Where did you get this idea? Is it pretty mild on skin? (to wash the girls' clothes) I'll have to try it.

Thanks!

Lois Brown said...

Interesting. Sounds like a lot of work though! What is the benefit of doing this versus buying Tide for example? Is it enviornmental, does it save money, is it better for your body? just some questions!