Saturday, May 2, 2009

Something new

I can't remember if I have posted about Michael lately. He is my 22 year old. A returned missionary. Going to be a computer programmer. All around good guy albeit slightly shy around people...goes back to that engineering mind I think. Here are a few pictures over the years:
Here he was 5 months old...what a cutie.

Here he is in Kindergarten. It was a spring picture so he was 5 years old.

That scar on his forehead is from when he was about 20 months old. He was in a shopping cart...I had all 4 kids at the grocery store with me so Daniel was up front where the kids sit and I had Michael in the part where the groceries are. It was an old fashioned kind of cart sort of like the yellow one in the following picture. It is hard to see but the top of it at the front (opposite of where you push it) has a part that lifts up and drops down. It was so you could slide your groceries out onto the conveyor belt in line and not have to reach down and get them like you do today. So he lifted it up and tumbled out head first onto the concrete covered with tile floor and landed on his forehead. It is actually amazing that he didn't have a head or brain injury...but he only had stitches and now a scar.

Here he is the day he returned from his mission just over a year ago so he is 21 years old.

Here is his spider which perished a few months ago.

Here is his snake...yet to be named.

He has been having a few health problems lately. Namely that he had been sleeping a lot...like 12-14 hours a day and was still tired when he got up. He would miss class some and his first class is at 2pm. I finally set up an appointment with the doctor. I asked him if he wanted me to go with him...he said no...big mistake. She wanted to take his blood and he does not do well with that. He almost passes out, gets nauseous, and really needs to just sit for like 15 minutes or half an hour after the procedure. He gets that from his dad...I watch when they take my blood. He got back and said I should have gone. Anyway...they called with the results yesterday and he has an under active thyroid so he started on generic Synthroid and goes back in 8 weeks to check and see how it is working. I think that I will go then so that I can see his numbers...just curious...especially since I have the condition too. I guess that people don't always gain weight having that...he is still just as skinny as ever. And...today he was up before noon...actually up before 10:30am!!! Maybe that will solve his being tired all the time problem...I sure hope so.

3 comments:

Lois Brown said...

I hope so too! That's so hard when you sleep and then you are still exhausted! Love the pics of him growing up! i know now why I am not the mother of boys! Would not like having spiders or snakes for pets in my house! Whew!

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

That first picture is really 5 months? My girls are so itty-bitty. I need to feed them more. He looks so much older than 5 months too - his face seems so mature/grown up for such a baby. Cute picts.

GStaples said...

How fun to do this blog! I have a cousin who also has the same type of snake and Mortimer is the name. She has had this snake for years, and one day it came up missing. So in a couple of months, she bought a new one and put it in the old snake aquarium and by evening she came home to find Mortimer close by. She took the new snake back and showed the shopkeeper, Mortimer only to find out, it is a 'Lady' Mortimer, not a Lord. So now, she is called Lady Mortimer.